We have all grown up playing Christmas charades during the holiday season. Charades is undoubtedly one of the most fun and simple games that you can enjoy with your family and friends. If you plan to host a low-key Christmas party this year and play lots of Christmas games and activities, then Christmas charades should definitely be a part of your plan. It is easy to play, since most of us have already played it before, and guarantees fun.
In this article, we have tried to list down some of the best Christmas charades ideas for your Christmas party. We have also tried to list down some rules and ideas that you should be using for your Christmas charades game. These ideas will make your Christmas charades so much more fun.
Imagine it is Christmas afternoon, and you are done with your snacks, preferably a hot spiced Christmas tea or Christmas morning quiche, and now you and your family have a full Christmas spirit but no ideas about what to do.
In this case, check our 30 fun activities and things to do on Christmas, and if they don’t excite you, then don’t you worry; the Christmas charades game should be your go-to activity. It brings everyone together, brightens the mood, and increases the Christmas spirit. No matter who your guests are at Christmas or how old they are, they would love this game!
What Is A Christmas Charades Game?
A Christmas themed charades is just like the regular charades game that we have all played at least once in our life. However, if you still don’t know precisely a charade game, then it doesn’t worry that we got your back!
A charades games is a very old word guessing game. Earlier it was a much difficult game where the participants had to act out a syllable of a word, and the rest of the group has to guess it. However, with time the game developed different versions of it.
Today there are charades of all types; movie charades, book charades, TV show charades, random words, and so much more. Playing charades does not sound very difficult, and it is not, but like any other game, it too has rules that should be followed to make the game fair but fun at the same time.
But once you get the hand of the game, then you can make variations that suit you. You can also custom make your own Christmas Charade List, which may be more fitting with Christmas festivities.
Below are listed some easy to follow steps that will guide you through the game:
- Divide all your participants into two teams. You can also make more teams, but two is a standard number.
- Make sure you write words on small pieces of paper and put them in a paper bag. One member from each team will come forward at a time and pick a random piece of paper from the bag. This word will be kept a secret from the rest of the team members.
- Set a timer on a clock or a stopwatch for at least one minute. The player that picked the paper has to act out whatever is written on the paper, and the rest of the team members will have to guess what the person is trying to act out.
- The word has to guess within the given time. If the team members are successful in doing so, they get the point.
- The same process of acting guessing will be repeated with the other team.
- You can play as many rounds of charades as you like. The team with the more excellent score at the end will be the winner.
Now that you know what charades are and how it is played, you should try playing Christmas charades. Holiday charades are just as fun as regular charades or maybe even more fun because of all the Christmas charades ideas.
The only difference between regular charades and Xmas charades is that all the words and ideas would somehow be related to Christmas. Read down further to find some of the best Christmas charades game ideas and you can also search words specifically Christmas charades words to customize the game.
Before you go ahead and plan your Christmas charades then you must also take care of some rules of the game:
- You cannot speak. Not speaking is one of the essential rules of charades. If you try to speak when you are acting out, then you defeat the purpose of the game, so make sure you do not do that.
- You have to stay within the time limit. Having a time limit improves the game by making it more challenging.
- If you are playing Christmas song charades, you cannot act out the singer; you must act out the song only. The same goes for movies.
Christmas charades are undoubtedly a must play on Christmas; the kind of experience and bonding you get while playing this game with your friends and family cannot be replaced with anything. It is also an activity that will involve everyone, from the little ones to the adults, and all of them will have a great time.
Some Good Christmas Charades Ideas
When it comes to Christmas charades ideas, the good thing is that there are plenty. There so many different categories to choose from that you will not have to repeat the same Christmas charades words twice! From random Christmas words to Christmas movies, you can have it all.
Below we are categorizing some of the most favorite Christmas charades ideas that you must try:
Random Christmas Objects Charades
Out of all the categories for charades, this one has to be the easiest yet a lot of fun. This category includes objects, food decoration, etc. that fall under Christmas. This can also be used as Christmas Pictionary Wordlist. These are some words that you can use:
- Gingerbread man
- Hot chocolate
- Christmas tree
- Christmas lights
- Christmas rose
- Christmas cactus
- Christmas quiche
- The North Pole
- Gift giving
- Roasting chestnuts
- Holiday shopping
- Chopping a Christmas tree
- Ice skating
- Eating Christmas dinner
- Writing a letter to Santa.
- Snow globe
- Wrapping paper
- White Christmas pie
Christmas Movie Charades
- A Christmas story
- The Grinch
- Home Alone: pretend to be aloe and fight off the robbers.
- The Polar Express
- It’s a Wonderful Life
- Miracle on 34th Street
- Elf: try to mimic the elf character by standing straight and putting your hand on the sides.
- Love Actually
- Four Christmases
- White Christmas
- The Nightmare Before Christmas
- Die Hard
- Holiday Inn
- How The Grinch Stole Christmas: run around pretending to steal Christmas lights and décor.
- Jingle All The Way
- A Christmas Tale
- Rudolph; The Red Nose Reindeer
- Remember The Night
- Christmas In Connecticut
- A Christmas Carol
- The Santa Clause
- Bad Santa: put on a Santa hat but act notorious.
- Stalking Santa
- Surviving Christmas
- The Muppet Christmas Carol: look around to find a sock and play the Muppets.
- Christmas With The Kranks
- Arthur Christmas
- Jack Frost
Christmas Character Charades
- Santa Clause: wear a Santa hat and pretend to distribute everyone’s gifts, rub your belly and go around as if you are riding on your sleigh.
- Mrs. Clause
- Virgin Marry
- Frosty The Snowman
- Elves: stand like an elf and pretend to help the Santa.
- Bad Santa
- Cupid: pretend to have a bow and shoot hearts with it.
- Three Wise Men
- Santa’s helpers
- Rudolph; The Red Nose Reindeer: put something re on your nose or point to red color.
- Carolers: act as if you are singing with a group of people.
- Ghost Of Christmas Past
- Grinch: steal all the gifts and act notorious.
- Olive; the Other Reindeer
Christmas Song Charades
- All I Want For Christmas Is You – Mariah Carrey
- We Wish You A Merry Christmas – Arthur Warrell
- Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas- Judy Garland
- I’ll Be Home For Christmas- Bing Crosby
- Frosty The Snowman- Gene Autry
- Let It, Snow! Let It, Snow! Let It Snow!- Frank Sinatra
- Santa Baby- Eartha Kitt
- Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree- Brenda Lee
- Jingle Bells- Ella Fitzgerald
- It’s The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year- Andy Williams
- A Holly Jolly Christmas- Burl Ives
- Merry Christmas, Baby- Johnny Moore
- Christmas, Baby Please Come Home-Darlene Love
- I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause- Jimmy Boyd
- Christmas Must Be Tonight- The Band
- Christmas Wrapping- New Wave
- Last Christmas- WHAM!
- Santa Clause Is Comin’ To Town- Bruce Springsteen
- Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer-Harry Connick Junior
- Eight Days Of Christmas-Destiny’s Child
- Silent Night- Josh Groban
- It Must Be Santa- Bob Dylan
- We Need A Little Christmas- Broadway Musical, Mame
- Mistletoe Justin Bieber
- It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas- Michael Bubble
- Underneath The Tree- Kelly Clarkson
- Santa Tell Me- Ariana Grande
- You Make It Feel Like Christmas- Gwen Stefani
- Christmas Where We Are
- Winter Wonderland- Michael Bubble
- Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer- Elmo and Patsy
- Little Donkey- The Beverly Sisters
Christmas Activity Charades
- Kissing under the mistletoe
- Gift wrapping
- Gift giving
- Gift opening
- Decorating a Christmas tree
- Putting Christmas lights
- Making a snowman
- Writing a letter to the snowman
- Roasting chestnuts
- Making eggnog
- Drinking cocoa
- Baking cookies
- Going Sledding
- Telling Christmas stories
- Trimming the Christmas tree
- Having a tea party
- Eating Christmas dinner
- Holiday shopping
- Having a snowball fight
- Putting the star ornament on top of the Christmas tree
- Catching a snowflake on the top of your tongue
- Making gingerbread houses
- Santa going down a chimney
Christmas Charades Words
- Ho Ho Ho!
- The spirit of Christmas
- Jingle bells
We have tried to list some good ideas for starting your Christmas charades game, however; these are just a few ideas that will help you get into the spirit of Christmas charades. You can use these words and ideas ad once you get the hang of it, make your own words, and enjoy the game. The good thing about these words is that most of them are easy to act out and guess, so the children can also participate in the fun Christmas charades game.
Why Should You Play Christmas Charades This Christmas?
Christmas themed charades is one of the most fun Christmas games. It is a good source of bonding with your friends and family during the holiday season. Since the world is going through a pandemic and it is highly possible that most of you would not have a grand Christmas party, you have to plan small, fun Christmas activities that will keep everyone’s Christmas spirit high. Christmas charades are a game that you can enjoy with a small group of people; you can keep it low-key and make it so much fun.
Since the pandemic, a lot of things have been happening online. If you are not inviting many people over this Christmas but still want to spend it with your loved ones, you can celebrate it virtually! It is indeed a great idea; you will not only avoid having a massive gathering but will also enjoy each other’s’ company. You can also play Christmas charades on Zoom. Everything will be the same as playing charades in person; the only thing different would be that you will be acting out the words in front of the camera, and the people sitting on the other side would be guessing them.
Here I am listing a few reasons why you should play Christmas charades game this holiday season:
- It is simple and easy to play. The rules are not complicated, and once you play it a few times, you will completely understand the game.
- It is a lot of fun. You will surely enjoy acting goofy while you try to act out the words. The fun will spare no one!
- It can be played with both children and adults. Most of the ideas we have listed above are easy and straightforward; hence even the children can easily read and act them out.
- You do not have to do a lot of preparations beforehand. All you require is some paper pieces with the words written on them, placed in a paper bag. Nothing extravagant!
- You can print Christmas charades PDF or Christmas charades printable from the internet to make your job easier.
- You can play it online via Zoom. The best of Christmas charades is that you don’t really need to be present physically; if you are social- distancing, then play it online!
- It will test your Christmas knowledge and will act as a good brainteaser.
- It is an excellent source of bonding and spending some valuable time together.
Christmas is a time that most of us wait for the whole year. The decorations, the food, and especially the activities are something that we all look forward to. With time, people have come up with exciting and fun games and activities for Christmas so that you don’t have to spend the whole day just lying around. Christmas charades are one of those fun games that have become very popular amongst people of all ages.
In this article, we have explained how to play Christmas charades, in case you already did not know. We also listed some of the best ideas for the Christmas charades game, which include random words, activities, songs, movies, etc. If you are looking forward to spending a fun evening on Christmas day, playing Christmas charades, then this is your go-to article. In a single article, we have listed all you need to know about this fun, enjoyable game so that you do not have to go around looking for ideas.
If you have been playing Christmas charades or have ever done, let us know your favorite part of it and what Christmas charades category is your favorite. Also, tell us in the comments if this article has helped you or given you new ideas for Christmas charades.